Spartan Expressions

The Student News Site of New Hartford High School

Spartan Expressions

Spartan Expressions

Are you interested in the BOCES program?

BOCES is an organization created in 1948 by New York State. BOCES Career and Technical Education was designed for students in New York to get that second help with future careers as BOCES is a shared educational program that gives students opportunities to explore their career paths by allowing them to take classes in that field.  

Aside from this program helping students in school get more in touch with their careers, BOCES also allows adults who are looking for more education in their field. Rather they are looking for a certificate or just basic education on a certification. The difference here is that students are able to go for free as their school covers their expenses and adults will be paying out of pocket. 

Some classes available at BOCES include culinary, nursing, cosmetology, welding, early childhood education, etc. these are all different skills kids can use in their future. 

In the cosmetology course, they are preparing students for their certification and allowing them to explore the 2-year 1000 hour course, then after they are able to get their cosmetology license through BOCES. 

Nursing is also a very attractive course to take in BOCES 

“The nursing program at BOCES has given me experience and knowledge in the nursing field so I will go into a job/school already having prior nursing knowledge,” said Allison Kovacs, a senior in New Hartford High School. 

Taking this course while still in high school, you’re expected to be out of school for half of the day. But the good thing about this is while you’re exploring a career you’re passionate about you are also getting credits needed to graduate. 

“BOCES offers training and education that we can’t here, obviously it’s very specific to their careers. But it’s very valuable for students to get trained and certified. We can’t provide that, and it’s such a good way for students to be more hands on” said Mr. Baldo, a counselor at New Hartford High School 

Considering this program as a junior in high school would seem pretty heavy, but what if BOCES offers to help build skills that are beneficial in the future?

“The hard part about it is that a lot of the programs are two years long, it’s hard for students to know what they want to do after 10th grade. It’s a big commitment, some students just want the opportunity to try something and just get their hands on something that might lead to an interest or career. Even if they don’t choose to pursue that, a lot of them have a skill they can use for the rest of their lives.” states Mr. Baldo. 

I would strongly encourage students entering their junior year to enter BOCES and explore/be more hands on in  their career field.