Spartan Expressions

The Student News Site of New Hartford High School

Spartan Expressions

Spartan Expressions

23 New Hartford Athletes Claim First Undefeated Season in 31 Years Under Coach Mark McFarland

Mrs. Jessica McNair
The team poses for Sectional championship picture

The Varsity boys swim and diving team has accomplished many spectacular feats within the last season, with two pool records being smashed, and multiple state cuts being met. On top of this, they have accomplished their primary goal of going undefeated in dual meets. This is the first time an undefeated streak has occurred during their coaches’ time with this team.

February second was the final meet of the regular season dual meets. They faced Watertown who have been known to make states in both individual events and relays.

New Hartford came out dominant 93-82 which concluded the night on a high note as they were officially undefeated. This was just a minor cause for the team’s excitement, because Arman Tresnjo, Troy Luley, Brendan Gruneich, and Deklan McCarthy clutched up with both the state cut and pool record in the 200 medley relay. This record was set in 1993 by another New Hartford relay.

“Making states and beating the pool record in the same meet was seriously a feeling that I will never forget and I’m honored I got the experience,” says senior Arman Tresnjo.

On top of that, the 200 freestyle relay made another state cut, contributed by Arman Tresnjo, Kareem Mosaad, Deklan McCarthy, and Brendan Gruneich.

This marked the second consecutive year in which they have sent both of these relays to states.

Closing in on the last two events of the night, Troy Luley claimed the new pool record in the 100 breaststroke.

Earlier in the season New Hartford beat all the teams in the Tri-Valley League which included Holland Patent, Rome Free Academy, Cooperstown, Proctor, Oneida, and individual swimmers from VVS, Manlius Pebble Hill, and Whitesboro. They did this in both dual meets and the TVL championships.

But in order to win, the team needs to work as hard as possible to be able to claim all these victories.

“The training this season was difficult. I believe it helped us improve greatly as it made us push past our limits,” explains Khalid Elmarasy.

Arman also agreed with this replying “I would say training was extremely difficult at times but rewarding if completed properly.”

Training for competitive swimming is physically demanding, but competing can be almost as hard. The mental preparedness required is almost, if not as important, as the need to be physically prepared.

“Usually I prepare myself mentally by thinking of a realistic goal while standing behind the block and stretching/jumping prior to the race,” Arman explains, “And for big meets[I prepare] by thinking about my events and what I can do while still maintaining my regular diet and drinking plenty of water.”

Leading into sectionals, the nerves were high, even though they knew for good that they would win. The stress was a result of individual anticipation. State qualifiers seeds your position by what you place at sectionals, so it was crucial that they moved up as many places as possible.

“I do believe this team has the potential to win sectionals, as well as state quals, but state quals will be a tough meet to win,” states Khalid. Similarly Arman believed that “due to this team’s nonstop dedication and hard work I believe we will win sectionals and have a serious chance at state quals if all of us perform above our expectations which is 100% doable because of previous performances.”

Soon their beliefs would become a reality.

During the meet, all three relays were able to score first place without disqualification. Although, unfortunately the 400 freestyle relay did not make states. This would put pressure on the relay for Friday.

A majority of the swimmers were able to make the podium, especially top five, which put them in a good position for scoring at the Falwell cup

The team ended up winning by 144 points and many swimmers were able to drop enough time and make the top 16 swimmers at state qualifiers, making them eligible for scoring.

But the snow day put unanticipated pressure on the boys. The fear of not being able to make the meet was a factor contributing to their stress, along with the tough races they would have to beat Baldwinsville and claim the team title. Fortunately, the weather was not bad enough to make the team not eligible for competing.

State qualifiers began with an electric start. New Hartford’s relay moved up positions allowing for higher scoring. The team would need to keep this up in order to claim the Falwell cup.

Leading into the fifth event, Liverpool and Baldwinsville had the early lead. Slowly New Hartford gained extra points putting them in line with the top teams. Eventually they would take the lead and the title would be a result of the final event.

If New Hartford were disqualified, not only would they lose the meet, but they would be ineligible for the state meet if they make the cut.

In the end, the 400 freestyle relay placed second but made the state cut and won the meet for the team.

The team’s motivation and success is driven by spectators, family, and friends, one of whom describes “their energy is a big part in the boy’s success, it helps motivate and lift everyone’s spirit up.” Edin Hadzimujic who is a swimmer for the New Hartford Aquatics club team and a friend of the team, states “never once have I seen them lose hope. They all inspire each other as well as themselves.”

Overall this year’s swimming and diving team has set the bar high for future teams, as they accomplished multiple feats of pure athleticism. They splashed their competition and remained undefeated, swam incredible times making them eligible for the state meet, and broke pool records all within the same year. The team truly worked hard for what they earned and that is what made them able to claim their top podium spot at sectionals and the Falwell Cup.

The team poses for Falwell Cup championship picture (Jessica McNair)