Spartan Expressions

The Student News Site of New Hartford High School

Spartan Expressions

Spartan Expressions

NBA Playoffs 1st Round

The Daily Dribble
https%3A%2F%2Fcreativecommons.org%2Flicenses%2Fby-sa%2F2.0%2F
Michael Tipton
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

The NBA playoffs are here! 16 teams are looking to advance in the next round of the playoffs but only eight can come out on top, and at the end only one can be crowned champions. 

Now we will look into each series so far and see how the teams are doing.

Eastern Conference

#1 Boston Celtics vs #8 Miami Heat BOS wins series 4-1

Boston dominated this series and won this series 4-1 and this series was not interesting since three out of four games Boston won, they won by 20 plus. For Miami it was tough for them since their best player Jimmy Butler was out for the whole series with a sprained MCL. Miami has had to experiment with lineups with their best player out and their center Bam Adebayo is trying his best averaging 22.6 points in the playoffs. Boston’s duo, Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown who are both averaging 22 points easily closed out the series in game five. Now the Celtics will face the number four seed Cavaliers in the Conference Semifinals.

#4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs #5 Orlando Magic CLE wins series 4-3

Both teams have taken home court advantage with them winning two games at home each. The Magic are looking hot after being down 2-0 with back to back 20 plus point wins, and their young stars Paolo Banchero is averaging 25 points and Franz Wagner is averaging 21 points and looking to tie the series in game six. After a hot start in the series the Cavaliers are in a slump right now, after 2 bad losses that weren’t close and it looks like the offense is not clicking since they haven’t scored over 100 points in the first four games. Game five was a close game with the Cavs winning 104-103 and then Orlando kept the series alive in game six winning 103-96, even though the Cavs Donovan Mitchell had 50 points. In game seven Orlando was on fire at half leading 53-43 at half, but in the second half the Cavaliers outscored the Magic 63-41 and won game seven with Donovan Mitchell scoring 39 points. Now the Cavaliers will face the number one seed Celtics in the Conference Semifinals.

#3 Milwaukee Bucks vs #6 Indiana Pacers IND wins series 4-2

The Milwaukee Bucks were on upset alert after losing the series 4-2. The Bucks had the injury bug right in the series  since their best player Giannis has not played a game in the series yet and they lost their second best player Damian Lillard in game four for an injury too. Lillard was their best player by far averaging 31 points, after getting injured in game four he was out for the rest of the series. The Pacers took full advantage of the Bucks injury bug by beating them three games straight and their bigs are dominating with Pascal Siakam averaging 22 points and Myles Turner averaging 19 points. Now after crushing the Bucks in game six the Pacers will face the number two seed Knicks in the Conference Semifinals. 

#2 New York Knicks vs #7 Philadelphia 76ers NYK wins series 4-2

Every game so far has been close, but the deciding factor of the series is Jalen Brunson who is averaging 35.5 points and 9 assists. The Knicks were doubted as a higher seed but have not listened to critics and won the series 4-2, even though some stars are out like Julius Randle. The 76ers had the problem of closing games out and that their two stars are carrying the team and no one else is really helping out, since Joel Embiid is averaging 33 points and Tyrese Maxey is averaging 30 points and while the third option is averaging 13 points which is not a lot. The 76ers could have easily stayed in this series, but they couldn’t stop Brunson and close out games. Now the Knicks will face the number six seed Pacers in the Conference Semifinals. 

Western Conference

#1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans OKC wins series 4-0

A clean sweep people like to call it. The Thunder dominated the series and swept the Pelicans, but the Pelicans did not have their best player Zion Williamson for the whole series due to injury. This affected the Pelicans a lot with their other stars not stepping up to even get a game in this series. The Thunder young core showed why they are the number one seed with MVP candidate Shai Gilgeous-Alexander averaging 27 points. Now the Thunder will face the number five seed Mavericks in the Conference Semifinals.

#4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks DAL wins series 4-2

This series has been back and forth the whole time with the series being 3-2, the Mavericks have been on and off in this series with stars Luka Doncic averaging 30 points and Kyrie Irving averaging 26 points but have no supporting cast right now with their third option averaging 10 points. The LA Clippers have been weird this series when their best player is out (Kawhi Leonard) they play better, but other stars on this team James Harden, and Paul George have been contributing with Kawhi out in some games this series. Game five wasn’t even close with Dallas winning by 30 and took a 3-2 lead, and in game six Kawhi Leonard was out again and the Mavericks won 114-101 with Kyrie scoring 30 points and Luka scoring 28 points. Now the Mavericks will face the number one seed Thunder in the Conference Semifinals.

#3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs #6 Phoenix Suns MIN wins series 4-0

This was a shocker that the Timberwolves swept the Suns big three. The Timberwolves came out hot in this series and dominated the Suns the whole time except for game four but still won. The Timberwolves Anthony Edwards was on fire averaging 31 points and had a lot of help from his teammates to win this series. The Suns were in shock getting swept by the Timberwolves and now have a bunch of questions of the future in Phoenix since their big three takes up a lot of cap space. This showed in the playoffs when Devin Booker and Kevin Durant averaged 27 points and Bradley Beal averaged 16 points and no one else averaged over 10 points. Now the Timberwolves will face the number two seed Nuggets in the Conference Semifinals.

#2 Denver Nuggets vs #7 Los Angeles Lakers DEN wins series 4-1 

The Nuggets beat the Lakers in the past two years in the playoff series. The Nuggets weren’t as dominant like last year until the 4th quarter in this series with two game winners by Jamal Murray. The surprising part is that the Lakers were in the lead for 150 minutes in this series and still lost in five games. The stars of this series were Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray with Murray’s two game winners and Jokic almost averaging a triple double. The Lakers future is now a concern since their best player Lebron James could opt out of his contract and become a free agent, and could ruin the Lakers future for a while and start rebuilding again. Now the Nuggets will face the number three seed Timberwolves in the Conference Semifinals.